Monday, March 21, 2011

{frequent visitors}

Harry and Maude enjoying brunch
Aside from allergies killing me, I love this time of year. I'm no honorary Audubon Society bird watcher but, I love to sit and listen to them sing, even if I can't see them. Seeing them though, is always fun and filled with chances to learn something new.

Take for instance, Harold and Maude, one of two male and female Cardinal pair that visit our front yard a lot. Till today, they were somewhat predictable. Usually, I will see Harold first, flying into our plum tree scoping out the scene. Very shortly after, here comes Maude landing next to him. They will hop down to the lawn and enjoy the buffet together before flying to a few different branches here and there around the yard, and then they shoot off to the right of our house to the trees two houses down.

Today started out normal... and then the "new guy" showed up. Harold and Maude had just started to peruse the grass when what I think was a Tree Swallow came down onto the grass to join them. Maude literally disappeared! Harold left the grass, and instead decided he would forage in the dirt under the bigger tree near where I park. I noticed the wren didn't care, he kept right on eating.

Maude kept to the big tree, instead of the plum, and Harold poked around the ground for a few more minutes before they left.

Now, Harry and Maude had been just fine with the wrens and finches it usually shares brunch with, but what was so different about this new guy?

Curiouser and curiouser.

New buffet grounds for Harry today
Maude on a high perch
the homewrecker

Sorry the pics couldn't be better! I took them thru the screen so I wouldn't startle the birdies! CLICK to make 'em bigger!

No comments:

Post a Comment