Tuesday, April 7, 2009

First post!

I decided it was time to move my knitting posts to their own home!

When people you've known for anywhere from a few months to a few decades look at you as if you just told them you now smoke crack on a daily basis, when all you really just said to them was, "hey, I took up knitting... and I like it!", it's time to create a place where you can go on and on about about your new found habit, err I mean hobby, so they don't have to read thru my project posts and abbreviations wondering when I became an "old maid".

Truth is, they just don't understand me!

An old friend of mine actually said to me, upon finding out I knit... "WTF, I thought you were cool!" Excuse me? I mean, do people really think clothes grow on trees, or has technology just advanced so far that an art like knitting seems obsolete to some folks?

Yarn skeins my grandmother had crocheted with actually beckoned me to learn how to work it on a hook. I didn't take well to that, and I didn't have anyone to teach me so, I dropped the idea. Finally (and this was about a year later) I decided I'd give knitting a try. After trial and error, youtube videos, googling everything I could think of, sitting the knit section of Borders Books reading instructions, and finally the patience of an experienced knitter, the light bulb fired up big time, and I was hooked! Grandma's chunky pink yarn was about to become my first project to cast on and finish.

A few months later, I am diving into DPNs and about ready to cast on to create fingerless gloves. They are practice for working on socks in the future! I hope you enjoy my latest blog endeavor ... named "purl-wise" in honor of my grandma, Pearl, whom I love and miss so very much. Her crocheted creations drape my couches and cover my baby girl at night. And that's just one of the most wonderful parts about knitting and other yarn arts - when you're long gone, someone who loves and misses you, might find comfort still in works that your hands made.




xoxo
Jamie

No comments:

Post a Comment