Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Soup's On!

Since the weather turned chilly, I've been caving soup way more than normal. Instead of grabbing for a can I've been working on making soups for myself ... with pretty good success!

Allow me share the love ;)

In my 7 quart crock pot today: Minestrone

3 16oz cans "Italian style" diced tomatoes
1 16oz can dark red kidney beans (drained)
1 16oz can cannellini beans (drained)
2 c (16oz) water
4 c (32oz) chicken stock
1 & 1/2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
leaves from 3 stems oregano - tossed in whole
1 tsp chopped basil
about 1 handful fresh spinach torn into strips
1/2 tsp ground pepper
1&1/2 tsp minced garlic (equal to about 2-3 cloves)
3 med-lg size bay leaves
6 red potatoes, par boiled 10 minutes, cut into half-moons
3 shakes sea salt

Turn crock pot to 4-6 hours, depending on when soup needs to be done. Switch to warm when desired. Store in fridge and heat when you're hungry.

I freakin love this broth! It tastes pretty amazing :) The husband and I went to Olive Garden a few days ago and I ordered their Minestrone just to compare, and wow was I happy! Mine is way better ... in my own humble opinion, of course.



My local Dillons grocery store has a delish seeded garlic bread they make fresh daily. Perfectly paired!

My next soup-venture will be gnocchi chicken. Please share your recipes with me if you have any you'd like to pass on! 

Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment